Whiplash is a debilitating and potentially serious injury that commonly occurs when an individual is in an automobile accident. Whiplash is an injury that happens when the neck and spine experience a sudden movement that thrusts the neck forward and back, often related to rear-end collisions. This rapid snapping motion of the neck can cause strain on the neck and back and damage the surrounding muscles, ligaments, and nerves. Other risk factors for whiplash include physical abuse, sports accidents, and traumatic falls. Many individuals involved in automobile accidents or who experience traumatic physical incidents try to ignore their injuries, but whiplash can get progressively worse over time. It is recommended that victims of auto accidents seek chiropractic consultation and care within a few days of the accident occurring or release from the hospital. For individuals in Northern San Diego, Dr. Mark Cafagna (Dr. Mark) is a skillful chiropractor whose practice is located in San Marcos. He has over 39 years of experience treating patients experiencing whiplash, back and neck pain, headaches, spinal misalignment, and other conditions of the musculoskeletal system related to automobile accidents.
What Are the Symptoms of Whiplash?
The symptoms of whiplash depend on the severity of the force and the amount of hyperextension or compression experienced by the cervical spine (neck). Symptoms may appear immediately after the accident or emerge in the following hours and days. Whiplash can range from pain and muscle stiffness to bodily injuries and neurological effects. Patients who experience whiplash may feel:
- Stiffness and tenderness around the area of injury
- Pain radiating to face, head, shoulder, and back
- Bruising and swelling around the area of injury
- Muscle spasms
- Numbness, burning, “pins and needles,” muscle weakness
- Headaches and vision problems
- Vertigo or dizziness
How Can Chiropractic Care Help?
Upon your first visit with Dr. Mark in San Marcos, he will conduct a comprehensive physical exam, including medical history. He may order additional imaging tests such as an X-ray, CT scan, or MRI to diagnose whiplash or other injuries to the musculoskeletal system accurately. Dr. Mark will design an individualized treatment plan that may include:
- Chiropractic adjustments and spinal manipulation – relieves pressure on nerves and muscles and realigns the spine.
- Spinal decompression therapy – effective for treating bulging or herniated discs.
- Massage therapy – helps relax muscles and alleviate muscle tension.
- Ultrasound therapy – utilized to help relax muscles and soft tissue with targeted sound waves.
- Therapeutic exercises – a specially designed program to help strengthen weakened muscles.
If you have recently been in an accident and live near San Marcos, make an appointment with Dr. Mark today. His compassionate and expert care can ensure your healing and recovery. Call (760) 410-2373